Pages

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Reluctant Fundamentalist


I finished Mohsin Hamid's The Reluctant Fundamentalist during Jordy's afternoon nap today. I'm a bit ambivalent about it. The book is written in the darkly charming voice of a 20-something year-old Pakistani - an Ivy Leaguer and once succesful executive in Manhattan - as he sits having a meal with an unnamed American tourist in a cafe in Lahore. As he reveals his story, we come to see how the events of 9/11 cause him to reconsider issues of identity, loyalty and the pursuit of the American dream.

On one hand, the literature student in me applauds the clever use of a fallible, unreliable narrator and the story-within-a-story plot device. I also liked the anachronistic voice of the narrator, all colonial discourse in the midst of 21st century terrorism.

But though I started out expecting to be moved by the book, I was strangely numb at the end of it. I suspect it's because the novel was so sparely written, and the tension so well-wrought that by the end of the ride, I felt like I could breathe again, and that somehow distanced me from the issues explored in the book.

Definitely worth reading, but for me, it wasn't really a standalone experience, I needed to talk to someone about it (in this case, D, who loved it) to get my head around this book. I'm still uncertain what to make of the ending, but have a definite theory on what the last few paragraphs imply. If you've read this book and have a view, I'd really love to hear it!

One book that really got to me was Richard Yates' Revolutionary Road. It affected me on so many levels, but most so on the motherhood front. I'm embarassed to admit I only heard of the book because of the movie, but am so glad I read it. Very powerful, and Yates' ability to write incisive dialogue that just cuts through to the heart of the matter is quite wondrous. Can't wait to watch the movie, but think I'll wait till it's out on DVD.

Think I'm going to read The Carpet Wars next, in celebration of the Jordy carpet from Godpa James!

3 comments:

maree said...

Yes Dora..Revolutionary Rd immediately felt familiar...Remember The Hours - Michael Cunningham - remember Mrs.Brown ( i think that was her name ) baking the cake...

MM said...

I loved the Reluctant Fundamentalist - I couldn't put it down and I thought it was brave and challenging. I can see where you are coming from with your criticisms though ...

I also really enjoyed Revolutionary Road but it didn't really stick with me. I think I'll re-read it again in the future though and emjoy it all over again.

Ferunk said...

Yes Lauren, agree with you that what the author did was very courageous. I mean, to write from the point-of-view of the "enemy" takes some guts.

So what did you make of the ending?

(WARNING TO READERS: spoiler ahead. Well, at least this is my interpretation of what the ending was all about)

-------------------------

Possible theories
1. The "tourist" is actually a CIA-type agent sent to take the protagonist out.

2. The protagonist and the waiter have colluded to err, make an example of the tourist? Terrorise him?

3. We are not meant to know what happens definitively at end as, in this global age of paranoia, there is no such thing as the definitive anything.

4. The tourist really does reach in to his coat pocket for his business card holder...

See? See? I have no idea what happens and it's driving me insane!