Pages

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Ten Years and Counting!

Angkor Wat, Cambodia, 2004

Today marks D's and my TENTH year together! That's slightly less than one third of my life! For those of you who wonder how the Turnips* have spent a decade... well, here goes:

1997: We meet in Dunedin where I'm an exchange student at the University of Otago (but we're just friends then). I have the best semester of my uni life, where amongst other things, I discover Midori. Academically, it's my best semester as well - both in terms of fun and results-wise. I take Intro to Latin, Romantic Literature, Women's Studies 101 and a film class covering Film Noir and Science Fiction. I LIKE!
1999: D comes to Singapore for a one-year exchange programme at NUS Law School. In February, we decide that yep, we are two ducks in a pond and so, The Turnips are born! By his own admittance, he's not sure how much studying got done, but he made it through in any case!
2000: I traipse off to Dunedin, NZ on a Working Holiday visa, pretty sure I've taken the "pick kiwifruit" route for my career! But it turns out OK after all and I become a resident of Godzone, or the Land of Hobbits!
2001: D graduates and we move to Wellington! Here starts a time of walks, cafes, film festivals, amazing books, lots of road trips and many trips back to Singapore.
2003: I touch Viggo Mortensen's hand at the Return of the King premiere in Wellington. I shove several small people in order to get to the front of the barricade. Ah well.
2005: Leave Wellington after our March wedding for our backpacky honeymoon in Egypt and Jordan. Then move to Singapore for a change of scene (and pace, gah) as well as another wedding! We Turnips don't do things by halves you see. It's all or nothing!
2006: Had my own Devil Wears Prada ephinany and move to the NGO sector.
2008: Lives turned upside down and inside out with the arrival of the Jordy.
2009: Turnips celebrate ten years. But who's counting?

A sampler of pics below. I realise we didn't own a digital camera till 2004! And when we first got together, D didn't own a mobile and I was using a pager (ugh, those hateful little things)! We lived through the Internet age, going from text-interface games to watching Obama's inauguration via FB and having webcam conversations with D's mum in NZ!

Kohukohu, Northland, NZ, 2004

Dunedin, NZ, 2005

Petra, Jordan, May 2005

Rasa Sentosa, August 2005

Central Otago, NZ, December 2007

Chinese New Year, 2009

*Turnip = Turner + Yip. Get it? Hwoar, hwoar!

2 comments:

maree said...

....so many wonderful times & so many more to come..
I bless the day that you found each other xxx

Tane said...

What a lovely post and a lovely idea. Will have to remember this for when Lauren and I hit the decade!