Pages

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Happy New Year, Jordy!

Facing the new year head on!

Six days into the new year, and I can already feel the wheels creaking into motion, chugging with the regularity and routine of life. It's a comforting feeling really, when so much of the world is in turmoil - I just thank God I'm living in a country where it's safe to bring up a kid, and is relatively bolstered (when compared to some other countries I guess) against the failing economy.

Looking back at 2008, I can't quite believe we accomplished so much, and yet found time to watch all seven seasons of The Gilmore Girls, and the first and only season of the most excellent Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. We started the new year in a vineyard in New Zealand, which also marked the first day of my morning sickness, came back to Singapore to face renovations of our new home, we completed them in just over a month (with the help of a very zealous contractor), moved in in April, D had two overseas trips back to back to Hanoi and Oslo, we traipsed (or rather I began to waddle) across Singapore in search of essentials for Jordy (oh my, he was called Zorgy then!), read a ton of pregnancy books and bookmarked a dozen pages on the babycentre website, then on 10 August our lives were turned upside down, but for the better, and here we are four and a half months later with a wonderful little boy who has been described by others as "pinchable", "focused", "intense", "adorable", "chilled out", "unflappable", "grumpy" and "gorgeous". But to us, he's plain "wonderful".

I normally wonder what the new year will bring, but this year, I find myself in a slightly different state of mind. Yes there are things still up in the air, like for example, what my work plans will be like come August/September, but all that really is just part and parcel of life with Jordy. It's amazing how having him has made me appreciate the present so much more, while of course still planning for the future.

In that spirit of the now, I'm heading off to hang out with he-who-has-just-woken-up-from-a-morning-nap, and would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone reading this the most blessed and happy new year!

1 comment:

maree said...

Dora, Jordy whispered to me through the air to say that he has the loveliest mummy in the whole wide world x