Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Two weddings and a picnic

Tree-top board walk, Bukit Chendu

What a day! I wake up early to walk to Bukit Chendu, where a couple of friends from work gather to have a picnic. It's a perfect morning - sunny, dry and breezy.



We gather at the junction of Pasir Panjang Road and Pepys Road - a sleepy part of Singapore that thankfully, not many people seem to have discovered. We're a motley crew, having arrived from all corners of Singapore via bicycle, bus, train, and me, on foot!


I love twisty trees - it's amazing how you can find a spot of Tolkien's Fangorn Forest even in this tiny island city!

A marvellous tree-top board walk awaits at the top of the hill - I can't wait till September when Bukit Chendu, and adjacent Kent Ridge Park will be linked to Mt Faber and Telok Blangah Hill by a walkway. Then we'll be able to do a really decent walk!



We end up at the most fantastic lookout with panoramic views of the water. And to top it all off, we play Taboo! I have a bit of deja vu as I recall a walk I did one evening up Telok Blangah Hill when I stumbled upon a group of friends playing Taboo under a pavilion overlooking the citylights (read about it here). Perfect way to spend an evening, I thought. Felt the same thing this morning and was very happy.

Then from restful picnic amongst the treetops of Singapore, I rush frantically back home to get dressed for wedding #1 of the day. Good friend H's sister. It's my first Malay wedding (well, to be more accurate Malay-Arab-Indian-Muslim wedding) and it's lots of fun!



The decorations were unbelievably plush and gorgeous (Dean would be proud), the cupcake tower (above) simply delectable, the company wonderful and the music, intriguing - a blend of Malay top-of-the-pops, to Bhangra-type beats, to Arabic music (choruses of Habibi, Habibi), and the occasional French ballad.

Check out the gorgeous decorations!

At one point, the resident DJ proclaims in English, "this song goes out to all you non-muslims and non-Malays here!" I think there were maybe four of us who belonged in this category. And said DJ proceeded to play Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me!

D & I (and friends) with the regal couple

Then it was off back home to zip into glam evening wear for Wedding #2 of the day. That of my old friend M (we went nightswimming in Sentosa amongst other things, and he and D had a crazy boys' adventure trip to Thailand back in the days!).


M & C exchange their vows

It was so special being able to witness M's union with the lovely C. It was one of the most multi-cultural and national weddings I've been to. And The Lawn at The Raffles Hotel was just the most perfect, magical location.

Plus they had dancing after their 8-course Chinese-vegetarian dinner. Eclectic music to match the eclectic company - we were bopping along to The B52s, The Smiths, then Bhangra music, Banarama and Nick Cave! Wowee, what a day!

The beautiful couple: wishing you both a lifetime of happiness and laughter!

No comments: